Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday

Let’s celebrate Read Across America and Dr. Seuss’ birthday today with one of his classics.

Title: Bartholomew and the Oobleck
Author/Illustrator: Dr. Seuss
Publisher/Date: Random House Books for Young Readers (October 12, 1949)
Genre/Audience: Fiction for ages 6 and up

Themes: Arrogance/power, being content, admitting you’re wrong and saying you’re sorry

Opening: “They still talk about it in the Kingdom of Didd as The-Year-the-King-Got-Angry-with-the-Sky.  And they still talk about the page boy, Bartholomew Cubbins.  If it hadn’t been for Bartholomew Cubbins, that King and that Sky would have wrecked that little Kingdom.”

Synopsis: Bartholomew, the page boy, is the voice of reason in this story of an arrogant king who is bored with the weather and wants something new to fall from the sky.  The king’s magicians cast a spell that wreaks havoc on the kingdom and Bartholomew has to save the day by getting the king to admit he was wrong and apologize. 

Why I Love This Book:
First, Dr. Seuss is the master of imagination and fantastic worlds. 

Second, as a teacher, I loved March 2nd.  Read Across America was a great excuse to inject children’s books into every part of the school day (even more than normal) and throw a birthday party for Dr. Seuss, which made reading for third graders fun, fun, fun! 

Third, if you’ve never made Oobleck with cornstarch and water, you have not lived!  It creates the most interesting substance that is not quite solid, not quite liquid.  Slap it: it doesn’t splatter.  Try to pick it up: it runs through your fingers.  This is so much fun for kids and adults alike!

Resources:
Read Across America materials: http://www.nea.org/grants/13023.htm

For more links to Perfect Picture Books, a collection of bloggers who contribute at Susanna Leonard Hill’s site, click here.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful book and the activities. Very fun! And a great addition to our list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I haven't read this Seuss book and am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to try to make Oobleck, now! The more I read Seuss the more I am in talent of his creativity and powerful, timeless messages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my all-time favorite Seuss books. It used to creep me out so much as a kid, and now I love reading it to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did it creep you out? Just curious :) (I guess green gunk falling from the sky is a bit disturbing... Not nearly as inviting as Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!)

      Delete
  5. I've heard of this one, but haven't read it. I had a Seuss-deprived childhood, for some reason. Oobleck sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many Dr Seuss books today. Nice choice Laura. I'm happy to get to know the depth of his books and the strong messages they impart to kids. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice Laura! Seuss will always be loved by kids and their parents. Always! This just happens to be one of my favs. Wonderful activities. Love it. *waving*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. Your activity description sounds interesting. We may need to try that, so I can say I've lived plus I'm very curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try it. My preference is to leave out the green food coloring, though. Then no stains are possible. Clean-up is a snap because it just dissolves when more water is added and any that dries on the floor can be vacuumed up!

      Delete
  9. I have never heard of this book and it sounds amazing! I want to make Oobleck!
    A2ZMommy and What’s In Between

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a GREAT book and Oobleck is AWESOME! It's really cool how it feels! Great PPBF pick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I cannot believe how many Seuss books there are out there that I have not read! So fun! I am obviously in need of a Seuss education, and boy am I getting it today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay I am begining to think these books are more for teaching adults than kids.. lol..... I have never heard of Oobleck! From one of the comments I gather it is not for eating..... am I right?? I read ..green food colouring and then.. its fun when you pick it up and it runs through your fingers...ooh yiek!! LOL. Dr Seuss strikes again.... will have to look this up and maybe have a play with my nephew when he flys over to visit. Thanks Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely NOT for eating! Although it wouldn't kill you. It's just cornstarch and water. (A poor imitation of the sticky green goo in Dr. Seuss' Kingdom of Didd :)

      Delete
  13. This is a great book and you're right, you haven't lived until you've made oobleck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an oldie I had never heard of...but I do know the one about the 500 hats.
    Thank you for the great review and wonderful resources, Laura...the cornstarch mix sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't ever heard of this one! It sounds great. Can't believe I've never made an oobleck! :D

    ReplyDelete