Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Comfort Food

Homesick? Bad day? Got the winter blues? My favorite picture books are better than food to lift my spirits when the doldrums have got me down. I may have shared some of these on my blog before, but I can't help returning to them... Just as I do when I sit down to read them again and again. I hope you find some old friends here. And maybe some new ones!

Tuesday - This (nearly) wordless picture book by David Wiesner is pure magic. I have a soft spot for frogs and this fantastical story told in pictures makes frogs fly. Join their surprise and joy as they explore a whole new world bestowed on them one Tuesday evening. This is definitely a book to savor.



All the Places to Love - Patricia MacLachlan's poignant memoir-like text and Mike Wimmmer's exquisite paintings of rural America capture my heart and imagination. When I crave beauty, I turn to this book. It makes me cry every time.




My Painted House, My Friendly Chicken, and Me - Maya Angelou teamed up with photojournalist Margaret Courtney-Clarke to create this gem that follows Thandi, an Ndebele girl in South Africa. She speaks directly to the reader, teaching about her culture while making you feel like her new best friend. I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book!



Christina Katerina & The Box - Patricia Lee Gauch's characters feel like the kids next door. They are so real to life and their play is so imaginative and adaptable that I've always wanted to jump into the pages and join in the fun. This is a childhood favorite.



Toasting Marshmallows: Camping Poems - My family did a lot of camping while I was growing up so reading Kristine O'Connell George's poems makes me feel nostalgic. From tent set-up to take-down, and everything in between, the poems capture the feeling of communing with nature and being close as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment