Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Laugh-Out-Loud Funny: Part 1

Wow, it's been over a year since I published a post. Sorry to all my loyal fans, but I had to set the blog aside so that I actually had time to WRITE! I've felt encouraged to get back to blogging, but I'm not going to do it on a schedule. I'll add books when they inspire ideas, mentor my writing, or display emotional truths that move me.

To reboot our journey down picture book lane, I'd like to focus on humorous stories. Laugh-out-loud funny books. Tales that literally had my boys guffawing. They begged for these books to be re-read and they got funnier every time.

I have a nine-book high pile of rib-ticklers, so this post will be in many parts. Enjoy!

1. STUCK by Oliver Jeffers
Oliver Jeffers is a master storyteller. He took a common expression and built a literal tale around it. Every page is more outrageous than the last and there are surprises at every turn. 

2. THIS ORQ. (he cave boy.) by David Elliott; illustrated by Lori Nichols
Orq has a pet. His mother does not approve. Sound familiar? David Elliott and Lori Nichols breathe fresh life into this evergreen theme by taking a step back in time. The unique voice doesn't hurt either. Check out this opening:
This Woma.
Woma woolly mammoth.
Orq love Woma.

Here's the page that had my boys doubled over with laughter:

2 comments:

  1. Have you guys read The Book With No Pictures? It's one of E's. Faves, but be forewarned, your kids will add "Boo boo butt" into their vocabularies. :-p But it's worth it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. We've been there! Without a picture on the cover, it gets overlooked on the bookshelf a lot. But when it is found... hysterical laughter ensues :)

    ReplyDelete